Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
If you follow me on Instagram, you probably already know my obsession with soup. The other day, I was trying to think back on what I had eaten over the last two weeks and the majority of my meals consisted of soup! haha. I’m not complaining though because soup is delicious.
Today, I wanted to share my current favorite chicken noodle soup with you guys. Let’s get to it!
I always have to do Mise en place before I start cooking! Culinary taught me well! When everything is pulled out and measured ahead of time it makes cooking a lot quicker.
I usually end up making a majority of my soups on Sunday. That way, I can eat some throughout the week for lunch!
I have to put a spotlight on this Dutch oven because I’ve had it for a couple of weeks and I’ve been loving it! I’ve used it to make a lot of soups, stews, and homemade bread. It’s definitely one of my favorite and most used kitchen items.
I used Reames frozen egg noodles for this recipe and they were so good! They taste pretty similar to homemade so if you don’t have time to make homemade noodles then give them a try! You won’t be disappointed.
Here is the final dish! I like to serve this soup with crackers or homemade bread.
- 1 Large yellow onion chopped
- 2-3 Celery stalks chopped
- 4 Large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 Large garlic cloves chopped
- 4 TB Coconut oil or butter
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 TB tapioca flour or regular flour
- 2 quarts Chicken Stock
- 1 Chicken bouillon cube or bouillon paste
- 12 oz frozen egg noodles or regular egg noodles
- 4 cups cooked chicken diced/chopped (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- Melt the coconut oil (or butter) in a dutch oven (or large pot) over medium heat. Saute the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic until the veggies soften and onions become translucent- about 10 minutes.
- Next, add the next the Tumeric (1/2 tsp), Onion Powder (1/2 tsp), Pepper (1/2 tsp), Salt (1 tsp) and 1 bay leaf.
- Add the flour (2 TB) and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken stock (2 quarts) and bring to a simmer. Once it is simmering whisk in the chicken bouillon cube or paste.
- Next, add the frozen egg noodles and cooked chicken. Cook over medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes until the noodles are cooked through.
- Turn the heat to low and add the vinegar or lemon juice, cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, taste, season and serve!
*This soup tastes even better the second or third day!! If you have leftovers, just add some chicken stock to it and reheat on the stove for a few minutes before serving.
That’s it for today. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂