Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!! I can’t believe that Valentine’s Day 2019 is already here! Where in the world did January go? Although January came and went way too fast, I am ready to fully embrace February because that means we are one step closer to spring. 😉 Which makes me very happy!
I don’t know if anyone else does this, but I tend to celebrate Valentine’s Day throughout the week by going on a date with Kendall, spending a little extra time with a friend or family member, taking a nice long bath and some baking! This year I decided to make heart sugar cookies and decorate them for Kendall. I really enjoy any chance I get to be in the kitchen creating, so this was extremely fun and relaxing for me. Below are some pictures and the recipe for these cookies. I hope you enjoy! 🙂
I didn’t get any pictures of me rolling out the dough, but here are the cookies right after I took them out of the oven. I bought the sprinkles almost a month ago! I was really looking forward to this day. haha
I didn’t go all out and put words on each cookie, but deciding which sprinkles to put on each one was fun enough for me! 😉 It’s so funny because I was really trying to make sure I wasn’t doing two of the same cookie combination. ha!
Here are the cookies once they were all finished! I had Kendall take them to work with him, so they didn’t last for very long after I took this picture but that’s exactly how it should be. 🙂
Okay, now for the recipe in case you guys want to try and make some cookies tonight with your family or friends!
Ingredients for dough:
- 2 cups softened butter (You can use either salted or unsalted)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups sugar (heaping)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 cups flour (you can always add a little more if it is too sticky)
- 1. Mix wet ingredients with sugar then slowly add baking powder and then flour.
- 2. Mix well ( I just used a hand mixer)
- 3. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes before baking
- 4. Bake for 6-7 minutes at 375 on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. (I like to cook mine for 6 minutes because I like my sugar cookies extra soft)
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
- 1 pound cream cheese (2 sticks)
- 3/4 pound unsalted butter at room temperature (3 sticks of 1/2 cubes softened butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 pounds powdered sugar
- Mix together in mixer and then add food coloring
- Decorate cookies with frosting and sprinkles and enjoy!
I hope you guys have an awesome Valentine’s Day! Also, I had to share this throwback photo from two years ago today. We ended up going to Sun Valley’s natural hot springs on this day! This year we are just staying in and enjoying a nice dinner and a movie. Let me know in the comments what your favorite Valentine’s Day traditions are! 🙂